Everything You Need to Know About Stress Management
Want even more help with Stress Management?
Download Audiojoy for amazing wellness courses, workshops and mindfulness programs.
Stress is an unfortunate side effect of…well…living life! Total bummer, but we all get stressed sometimes (some of us more than others). Telling you that this article will magically eliminate all of your stress would be a big lie. However, we have gathered a few helpful tips on managing that stress of yours for when it hits you like a ton of bricks, like it tends to do. If you have stumbled across this page, you may even be stressed at this very moment! So kick back, relax, and take a gander at these stress management techniques that may be able to help you finally shrug that stress monster right off your very tense shoulders.
Let’s start with a quick breakdown of what stress actually is. ?Stress is a state of mental or emotional strain or tension which can result from demanding circumstances. Stress can affect you mentally and physically, so it is important to take care of both your mind AND your body when you feel the stress starting to build up.
There are some unhealthy methods of coping with stress which are easier to avoid than they are to correct, but with hard work and the right support you can begin to shift your attention to more positive and healthy methods of dealing with your stress. Addictions to alcohol, sex, drugs or gambling are some pretty well known coping mechanisms; as well as smoking and over-eating. There are tons of great resources to assist in moving away from these methods, to find ones that will help and not hurt you over time.??
Try some of these awesome stress relief tips:
- Happy/Healthy Diet – ditching the overly processed junk foods in favor of fresh fruits and veggies can improve your mood as well as give your body the fuel it needs to function without that midday “sugar crash” meltdown.
- Move That Body – even a 30 minute walk at a gentle pace can help unwind your muscles to help you build strength and the energy to get through the rest of your day.
- Meditation – if meditation is new to you, there are tons of great guided meditations out there to get any beginner started! The calm reflection time does a great job of helping sort out all of the jumbled thoughts in your head that may be causing your stress. ???????
- Get Your Snooze On – getting a good night sleep is the perfect way to set yourself up for a successful day of using your full brain capacity to manage stressful situations. 8 hours is the general recommendation for uninterrupted sleep for the ultimate recharge.
- Set Boundaries – this one is especially helpful for workplace stress. Making sure that you take the time to have a lunch break, that you actually use your vacation hours, and setting yourself REALISTIC deadlines are all ways to take control of your workplace environment. Those thoughts apply to your home life as well though! Don’t be afraid to admit that you need a break, and actually take one
At the end of the day, stress can affect everyone differently, but we can all agree that it isn’t very easy to deal with in the moment. Taking the time to go over some tips, and spending time researching and practicing even more, might help you remember to utilize your new knowledge when you are in the middle of the stress storm.